Table of Contents
- 1 The future of Osteoarthritis treatment is bright, thanks to new technology
- 2 Advanced medical technology in Osteoarthritis treatment
- 3 Management of Osteoarthritis treatment
- 4 The future of Osteoarthritis treatment
The future of Osteoarthritis treatment is bright, thanks to new technology
Advances in medical technology innovation play a major part in the Osteoarthritis treatment and cure of other chronic diseases. The continuous introduction of advanced medical technology in the treatment and management of Osteoarthritis continue to steadily improve the well-being of patients suffering from the incurable diseases.
Advanced medical technology in Osteoarthritis treatment
There has been a myriad of medical technologies invented for use in the treatment of the different symptoms of Osteoarthritis. What is encouraging is that a lot of the medical Practitioners, Rheumatologist and Therapists have embraced new medical technologies that assist with Osteoarthritis treatment and care.
New joint replacements techniques
In the last decade, there have been a lot of advances in joint replacement technology, tribological considerations and experiments, and immune and regenerative responses to joint replacements.
There are more than 300,000 total hip replacements performed in the United States each year – Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
These experimental technology innovations have led to the development of prosthetic limbs that functions the same as the natural joint. Some of these joints include the knee cup, the hip joint, among others that have been successfully resurfaced or replaced.
Existing replacement techniques are constantly being improved to further improve joint function thanks to the technological innovations. The result is that patients will get joint replacement that is not only fully functional but long lasting and efficient.
Improved pharmaceutical drugs
The last few years have seen remarkable new approaches and drugs that are purposely meant to reduce or alleviate some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis. The medication includes anti-inflammatory, pain killers and others that improve the flexibility of the joints. The medication is either taken oral or can directly be delivered to the joint. The development of such drugs is a step towards the healing of the osteoarthritis-related complication. Technology in osteoarthritis treatment is expected to improve in the future due to the ongoing researches.
Agili-C enables biological resurfacing of cartilage and its underlying subchondral bone through a tissue regeneration process. The device is suitable for a wide range of pathologies from focal traumatic lesions to moderate stages of osteoarthritis.
A drug that promises to prevent the breakdown of bone and helps to increase the build-up of new bone. Strontium Ranelate is awaiting approval for OA treatment. However, OA clinical research has shown that it could not only slow the progression of osteoarthritis, but also reduce pain and improve joint function.
This is arguably the most promising medical breakthrough in Osteoarthritis treatment. The nanoparticle injections have the potential to slow or even prevent the breakdown of cartilage from osteoarthritis.
The bioengineered nanoparticles are injected directly into the affected joint. Once in the joint, they penetrate the cartilage because of their tiny size. After penetrating the cartilage, the nanoparticles begin working to suppress inflammation within the joint and slow the further degeneration of cartilage
Management of Osteoarthritis treatment
For the patients who have severe Osteoarthritis, the different management techniques that have recently been developed as part of Osteoarthritis treatment and management are very useful:
- Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) is one of the cells that is being used to repair the articulate cartilage. The technology utilises replication of the cell and which in turn is transplanted to the joint increasing healing of the cartilage and reconstructing of the joints to enable normal functioning.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). This is another vital technology in osteoarthritis treatment. TENS is a machine that alleviates pain through pulses send to nervous system through pads placed on the skin. The benefit is not well documented, but it has a lot of potential for future management and osteoarthritis treatment.
- Assistance devices and tools. Through technological innovation, many types of equipment have been prepared to help osteoarthritis patients with their day to day activities. The equipment is customized for different uses such as movement, support, and undertaking daily routine such as brushing of teeth, bathing and putting on of clothes. The innovation of the equipment is ongoing, and the future for the osteoarthritis patients is bright.
The future of Osteoarthritis treatment
Technology has revolutionized the procedures used during the management and treatment of osteoarthritis. Such procedures such as surgery, implanting artificial joints and administering drugs into the joint are breakthroughs of significant value.
Currently a few universities are researching pain management and joint hypermobility, and drugs to mitigate pain. It is expected that the continuous technological research and study will yield more breakthroughs.
The existing technology has managed to improve the life of Osteoarthritis patients. There is hope that the future of osteoarthritis treatment will be brighter and more promising. The technology has enabled us to reach where we are now and what we know about Osteoarthritis. It is for sure that the future of Osteoarthritis treatment lies within technological advancement.
For those living with the pain of arthritis a future of endless struggle is not inevitable. However, with both government and private sector investment and funding, we’re one step closer to finding a cure.